Varicose veins are veins that have faulty valves. The valves of healthy veins open and close properly as blood is pumped through the body. If not addressed early, weak valves allow blood to pool in the veins causing bulges and/or spidery networks. Today’s treatments for varicose are quick, simple and do not require hospitalization or extensive recovery, and in most cases, create minimal and often imperceptible scars.
Symptoms and Causes of Varicose Veins
Causes of Varicose Veins
Varicose veins are more common in women than in men. Some of the most common factors are the following:
- Prolonged Standing
- Leg Injury
- Abdominal Straining
Varicose veins are unlikely to be caused by crossing the legs or ankles. Less commonly, varicose veins can be due to other causes, such as post phlebitic obstruction or venous and arteriovenous malformations.
Symptoms of Varicose Veins
- Fullness, heaviness, aching and pain in the legs
- Visible, swollen veins
- Swelling of feet or ankles
- Leg swelling
- Leg or calf pain after sitting or standing for long periods
- Skin color changes of the legs or ankles
- Dry, irritated, scaly skin that can crack easily
- Skin sores (ulcers) that don’t heal easily
- Thickening and hardening of the skin in the legs and ankles
Schedule a Vein Treatment Consultation
Place a call or book an appointment today. Let one of our expert physicians show you why San Diego Varicose Vein Treatment Center is the leader in varicose vein treatment.